Steven Perian KC FCIArb stands as a towering figure in the legal arena, recognised for his outstanding contributions and excellence as a King's Counsel in Crime in London. Consistently recognised as a leading Silk in the Legal 500, his career is a tapestry woven with remarkable achievements and substantial impacts on the field of law. It reflects a career steeped in defending and prosecuting the most serious criminal offences.
Steven is renowned for his exemplary work as a prosecutor in a series of high-profile, captivating cases. His exceptional courtroom skills have not only secured convictions but also caught the attention of both local and international media. These cases, covered extensively by the press, serve as a testament to his unwavering dedication to upholding the law and seeking justice on a global stage.
As a Fellow of the prestigious Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences (affiliate), and the Civil Mediation Council, Steven Perian's commitment to legal excellence spans across borders. His role as a Commercial Mediator in both the UK and Malaysia demonstrates a commitment to international justice, further underscored by his position as a member of the Panel of Advocates for the International Criminal Court.
A trailblazer in legal history, Steven achieved the unprecedented feat of being the first and only English KC called to the High Court of Malaya.
Steven was formerly a Senior Crown Prosecutor, for Special Casework Division (London) and a part-time law lecturer.
Beyond his role as a legal luminary, Steven is deeply committed to nurturing the legal talent of the future. His dedication is evident in his advocacy and vulnerable training for Pupils and New Practitioners at Lincoln's Inn, where he imparts invaluable knowledge and skills to the next generation of legal minds.
In Malaysia, his expertise is sought after by the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Bar Association, where he delivers lectures on advocacy and money laundering, solidifying his global influence in the legal domain.
Outside the courtroom, Steven is a compassionate humanitarian actively engaged with charitable organizations. As the President of the UK Chapter of Tamil Rise, he unites Tamil entrepreneurs and professionals across more than 30 countries, aiming to elevate the global profile of the Tamil community in the 21st century.
Crime – defence
- R -v- A.S & Others– The murder of Joseph Marafini. AS acquitted following successful submission of no case to answer.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ce73e14rlz3t
- R -v- L D & others – the murder of Daniel Adger in South Ockendon – LD acquitted of murder.
- R-v- K P – the murder of Danny Myers in Clacton. http://tinyurl.com/y7e5c8an
- R-v- C T & others – Eight defendants charged with the murder of Che-Labastide Wellington who was stabbed in the heart as he left a party.
- R-v-J A & others – JAcharged with the murder and manslaughter of David Darko. The case concerned the stabbing to death of DD in a park in South Norwood after a drug deal went wrong. The co-defendant was found guilty of DD’s murder.
- R v T B & others – The murder of Andrew McGowan in Great Yarmouth. TB acquitted of murder but convicted of manslaughter. Co-defendant convicted of murder.
- R v M S & others – Conspiracy to commit murder arising from a shooting in Hertfordshire. The case occupied the court for 10 weeks with Smith being the only defendant acquitted.
- R v S I & others – female defendant accused of luring a young man to a group who waited to stab the victim to death.
- R v G –man charged with killing a pedestrian with a single punch to the head following an altercation over the defendant’s friend cycling on the pavement.
- R v K man charged with a double murder following a two-week period of attacks on victims in a London woodland in early 2011.
- R v D Smother who drove a stolen car whilst being unfit through drugs which resulted in the tragic death of her two young children and two friends.
- R v W et al– Murder and Child Cruelty case where the victim was the 5-year-old daughter of Mr W.
- R v H & 9 others – the murder of Danny O’Shea
- R v R J et al– execution style killing of reggae singer, Miss Tippa Irie and 2 others including rape.
- R v K H– Vietnamese man who killed his wife by stabbing her 14 times
- R v T B et al– 9 defendants involved in killing a Ugandan school boy)
- R v S K et al
- R v N(younger brother of famous disc jockey)
- R v C
- R v B
Child Sexual Abuse
- Conspiracy to supply sexually explicit materials to underage children. Other charges:
- Indecency with children
- Indecent Assaults
- R v J et al(public sector fraud)
- R v A S(export of stolen cars from Europe for onward transmission via United Kingdom to Africa. Case involved participating informants, Interpol, Dutch police surveillance and Metropolitan Police)
- Advance fee fraud ($21.5 Million) mutual co-operation between FBI and City of London.
- Conspiracy to defraud (copyrights)
- Benefit, Police and DSS surveillance cases. Car ringing.
- Large scale money transfer offences involving International Investigation
- Police undercover and surveillance operation involving the Supply / Importation (Customs and Excise) of Heroin, Cocaine, Cannabis – the latter valued at £1.5 million
- Armed (guns and knives), Post office and Building Societies
- R v P– Large scale forgeries and counterfeiting. Largest haul of false passports and counterfeiting equipment in the last ten years in the South East of England.
Crime – Prosecution
- R v Shaye Groves, a serial killer-obsessed woman who brutally ended her partner’s life, broadcasting the crime to a friend. The trial gained widespread recognition internationally, featuring in True Crime narratives and on YouTube. Notably, Sky TV production of this trial as a documentary.
- Serial killer fan Shaye Groves jailed for murdering boyfriend – BBC News
- True Crime Fan Turned Killer | Documentary | Shaye Groves
- R v LV- Death of a 6-week-old baby at the hands of the father of the child. After a 4-week trial, the jury convicted the accused of murder. The child died of a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain and was found to have suffered many other serious injuries.
- R v A. A and C. C– The murder of a 20-year-old drug dealer at London, Colney in St Albans.
- R v V. M. & others – The murder of Kyle Yule in Gillingham (Kent) – the defendants were sentenced to a total of 88 years.
- R v B and others.
- R v A K– love crazed, besotted ex-boyfriend who stalked and stabbed his victim 13 times.
- Operation Arad– A police investigation into large scale Internet Shopping Fraud. The fraud was valued in excess of £2 million and perpetrated by an international Romanian Organised Crime group.
- R v H and S.
Conspiracy to defraud U.K. financial institutions (US Treasury Bonds Worth $US 2.3 Trillion Dollars).
- R v A V et.al(largest seizure of Illegal manufacture of Viagra) £6 Million.
- Conspiracy to obtain money transfer and property by deception from Price Waterhouse Cooper.
- Conspiracy to defraud Time Computers Plc by employees.
- Conspiracy to defraud Jaguar Motor Company and LEX PLC (£1,000,000.00)
- Conspiracy to defraud U.K. financial institutions (US Treasury Bonds Worth $US 55 billion).
- Conspiracy to defraud a charitable organisation (Black Charitable Organisation called The Abeng)
- Conspiracy to handle stolen goods (motorcycle ringing).
- Conspiracy to defraud the Vehicle Registration Office.
- Theft of £891,842.85 by employee from Halifax Building Society.
- Endangered Species EEC Regulation prosecution (Operation Charm).
- Handling of £490 Million of Stock Bonds.
- Conspiracy to clone credit cards (large scale credit card factories).
- Computer related crimes – in particular the use of computers and Internet in order to defraud.
Child Sexual Abuse
- Operation Fetteresso– Male rape and indecent assault on young children.
- R v GT
Unlawful sexual intercourse – 23 Counts of Indecent Assault.
- R v M
15 counts of Indecent Assault by a retired Police Sergeant on 2 Granddaughters, 2 Step-Granddaughters and Gross-indecency on 2 Great Granddaughters
- Child Cruelty and Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Indecent Assault on a Circuit Judge’s daughter.
- Operation Barking(Joint investigation by Customs and Excise and the West Midlands Regional Drugs Task Force)
- Operation Jasel
- Operation Hong Kong– serious crime directorate
- Operation Razor(18 defendants selling drugs from the Kensal Rise Area)
- Operation Helium
- Operation Welling
- Informant Lead investigations – multi-handed (Public Interest Immunity cases)
- R v B and W– guns and drugs (Special Projects Team)
- R v I. E, Z. E, H. E. and I. K(Special Projects)
- R v O and A, Juvenile defendants causing grievous bodily harm to a Muslim man who was on his way for Friday prayers to a mosque
- R v M S, J B(2-man crime wave who targeted vulnerable Jewish people where they used machetes and imitation firearms to rob them.
- Operation Grapevine
- R v P et.al
- R v D.
- Armed robberies – multi-handed (P.I.I. cases)
- Rolex robberies- multi-handed
- R v S and others, Tamil gang members engaged in intense internal disputes. These conflicts expose a web of power struggles and rivalries, creating a compelling and secretive underworld drama.
Data Protection Act
- R v C– Misuse of Police National Computer
Indecent Images of Children
- R v H– senior employee of Norton Rose Solicitors downloads indecent images of children from the Internet.
Civil Work for Prosecution
- Appointment of Receivers on Fraud and Drug Trafficking cases (R v Pope Cr App. R.)
Other practice areas
- International Civil and Commercial Arbitration
- International and UK Civil and Commercial Mediation
- Diploma in International Arbitration
- Trained in Civil and Commercial Mediation.
- Member of Lincoln’s Inn and Inner Temple.
- Member of the Panel of Advocates at the International Criminal Court.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) dealing with International. Arbitration
- Civil Mediation Council (UK) Registered Civil and Commercial Mediator.
- Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences [affiliate].
- Criminal Bar Association United Kingdom.
- Bar Council United Kingdom.
- Civil and Commercial Mediator (Malaysia).
- Malaysian Bar Association (Malaysia)
- British Malaysian Society (Ex Co)
- The RISE UK Chapter (President)
The Legal 500 has said of Steven … ‘He is able to get to the core of the case’. ‘His practice includes a range of challenging homicide cases’ .‘Comfortable prosecuting and defending violent and sexual crime.’
Steven appears in the 2018 edition of The Legal 500 where it said:
Steven Perian KC… ‘‘He defends in murder cases.”
The 2020 edition stated:
Steven Perian KC. ”He has an analytical mind and an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law.”
Steven delivered training to CPS [NBCPA members] in November and December on the law relating to bad character. https://www.nbcpa.org.uk/2019/12/nbcpa-law-discovery-sessions-nov-and-dec-2019/
The 2023 edition states:
- Steven Perian KC – …“An industrious, approachable and charming silk.”
- 2013 and 2014 Steven named ‘Forensic Law Barrister of the Year’ by Acquisition International.
Adam Andrews, 37, was yesterday jailed for 3 years for the violent shaking of a 21-day old baby, leaving the victim blind and paralysed,...
Alberto Fioletti, 31, of Fordingbridge, stabbed his former girlfriend, Stephanie Hodgkinson, 34, at least seven times in the chest with a large kitchen knife...
Steven Perian KC has been invited to deliver a seminar to the Kuala Lumpur Bar on case strategy and case preparation on 29th January...
The defendant was on trial for the murder of his ex-girlfriend, after a 4 week hearing at Bournemouth Crown Court he was convicted of...
Mother-of-two stabbed seven times; Italian vet charged with her murder – Steven Perian KC leading Daniel Wright for the Prosecution
The trial continues at Bournemouth Crown Court of Dr Alberti Fioletti, who is charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Stephanie Hodgkinson. The court...
The case of Frankie Fitzgerald / Shaye Groves features on 'Killer in my Village' which airs on Tuesday 14th November 2023 at 9pm on...
+44 20 7353 1746