Year of call: 2016
Laura became a tenant at 2 King’s Bench Walk in October 2020, following the successful completion of pupillage under the supervision of Barry McElduff and Russell Pyne. She now accepts instructions in all of Chambers’ practice areas.
During pupillage, she prosecuted and defended in a wide range of general criminal matters, predominantly in the Magistrates’ court but also in the Crown Court at sentencing, case management and appeal hearings.
Prior to joining Chambers, Laura accumulated several years’ experience working as a paralegal in various areas of law, including civil and commercial litigation at two boutique London law firms and most recently, within the Criminal Disclosure Unit at the Financial Conduct Authority.
She gained significant experience of criminal law in a successful defence firm in Temple, which provided her with a comprehensive understanding of the field and an invaluable insight into the expectations of instructing solicitors and clients.
Laura has a keen interest in youth justice, after volunteering for Just for Kids Law and undertaking the specialist advocacy training offered by the Youth Justice Legal Centre.
Recent criminal cases
- L v DPP, Reading Crown Court (2020) – Successfully appealed the sentence of a vulnerable defendant convicted of 2 charges of Failure to Comply with Notification Requirements, reducing his sentence from one of 10.5 to 2 months’ imprisonment.
- R v T, Westminster Magistrates (2020) – Represented a defendant, awaiting sentence for extremely serious matters in the Crown Court, who was charged with Criminal Damage to a police vehicle whilst on bail. Following lengthy mitigation, the defendant was sentenced to a low-level fine that was deemed served and granted bail as before.
- R v S, Luton Crown Court (2020) – Secured a custodial sentence of 12 months’ imprisonment, following a Newton Hearing, when prosecuting a defendant charged with Production of Cannabis, despite him being of good character and receiving full credit for an early guilty plea.
Laura is a Grade 2 Prosecutor.
- BPP University (Holborn) – BPTC – Very Competent
- BPP University (Waterloo) – GDL – Commendation
- University of Warwick – BA (Joint Honours) English and Latin Literature – 2:1
- Inner Temple
- Criminal Bar Association
- Association of Women Barristers