Year of call: 1994
Fern has established a reputation for first class advocacy. Although a tough and effective cross-examiner, she is noted for her sensitive handling of vulnerable witnesses, and has particular expertise in cases involving vulnerable people – either as Defendants or Complainants. She accepts instructions in all areas of criminal law, but is generally instructed in the more serious and complicated cases on the Circuit.
Fern’s substantial criminal practice includes all aspects of serious & complex crime particularly murder, manslaughter, serious sexual offences, child cruelty & kidnapping. In recent years she has been involved in many high profile cases, and her practice takes her to all corners of the Western Circuit, but particularly Winchester, Southampton, Bournemouth & Bristol.
Fern is a Grade 4 Prosecutor and on the RASSO List for the CPS and is on the Revenue and Customs “A” list of Prosecuting Counsel.
- Defence in a murder / rape trial, involving multiple expert issues including autoerotic asphyxiation
- Defence of a man accused of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice/concealing evidence in respect of a drugs production operation
- Defence of a man accused of sexually assaulting a young woman with cerebral palsy, involving cross-examination via an intermediary
- Defence of a foster father accused of raping his foster son, where the alleged victim became incapable of attending trial due to psychiatric illness (a Horncastle case with extensive third party issues)
- Acting for the principal defendant in a complex fraud spanning 10 years involving MOD surveillance vehicles
- Defending a father accused of historic rape, physical abuse and cruelty against his four children up to forty years ago
- Prosecution of a serious GBH committed by a woman who stabbed her boyfriend in the eye and ran an ambush defence at trial that she was the victim of an attempted group knife-point assault
- Prosecution of a six-defendant violent disorder/GBH culminating in persistent head-stamping
- Defending a woman accused of blackmailing a man with learning difficulties
- Defence of a man accused of manslaughter and arson, concerning the death of his fiancée
- BA (Hons)
- Diploma in Law
- Diploma in Forensic Medical Science
- Middle Temple
- Deputy District Judge (appointed 2012)
Click here for my Personal Privacy Statement