Year of call: 2007
Paul defends and prosecutes in all types of criminal cases for Solicitors and the CPS, predominantly on the Western Circuit, and is a Grade 3 counsel on the CPS Advocates Panel. He has represented clients at trial over a wide range of offences, including cases of serious violence and public disorder, burglary and aggravated burglary, robbery, arson, sexual assaults, supply of controlled drugs, and dangerous driving.
Paul has also prosecuted and defended serving police officers who were alleged to have committed criminal offences, either whilst on or off duty. He is known for strong cross examination, particularly where the witnesses are police officers. He also has a reputation for being good with difficult lay clients.
Paul is happy to accept publicly funded or private instructions.
- R v D and others (2019) – Croydon CC – 4 defendant s18 wounding – Two rival gangs attacking and stabbing each other in the street in South Croydon.
- R v K and others (2019) – Woolwich CC – 5 defendant s18 wounding – five youths surrounded another and stabbed him. Joint enterprise as victim did not know which defendant stabbed him.
- R v M (2019) – Portsmouth CC – Attempted ‘Stranger’ Rape.
- Operation Fieldhouse (2019) – Kingston CC – Leading Counsel – 13 defendant conspiracy to rob, burgle and steal. London moped gang. Commended by trial Judge for the handling of the case.
- Operation Fieldhouse 2 (2019) – Kingston CC – 6 defendant conspiracy to burgle.
- Operation Ursa (2018) – Inner London CC – Flying squad operation – 4 defendant cash in transit robberies.
- Operation Missenden (2018) – Woolwich CC – Flying squad operation – Attempted cash in transit robbery.
- R v F and others (2018) – Southwark CC – 3 defendant conspiracy to supply £2m worth of cocaine and MDMA. Lead defendant represented by silk.
- R v P and others (2017) – Birmingham CC – 3 defendant conspiracy to burgle involving cash machines in rural post offices being targeted.
- R v S and others (2017) – Reading CC – 6 defendant conspiracy to defraud – itinerant workers charging exorbitant fees for little or poor quality work for elderly people.
- R v O (2019) – Newport IOW CC – Father and mother accused of causing or allowing 4 month old baby to suffer serious injury.
- R v W (2019) – Southampton CC – Women accused of stabbing a man she said was attacking her.
- R v R (2019) – Portsmouth CC – Possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.
- R v H (2019) – Portsmouth CC – s18 GBH. Allegation of driving into a woman who was trying to prevent getaway after shoplifting indicent.
- R v A (2018) – Southampton CC – s18 GBH on fellow member of mosque.
- R v B (2018) – Brighton CC – Historic rape and buggery of two of his children in 1970s and 1980s.
- R v F (2018) – Bournemouth CC – Causing death by dangerous driving.
- R v M (2018) – Portsmouth Court Martial Centre – Rape at Naval training centre.
- R v L (2017) – CCC – Historic rape of family member.
- R v D (2016) – Exeter CC – Murder (led junior) – Complex issues surrounding mental illness.
- University of Southampton – LLB (Hons)
- Inns of Court School of Law – BVC – “Very Competent”.
- Member of the Western Circuit.
Click here for my Personal Privacy Statement