Family, Civil, Immigration, Crime
Year of call: 2001
Oliver practises predominantly in crime but also has substantial experience in civil and family cases.
Oliver is a Grade 3 CPS prosecutor and his recent criminal practice has included cases of increasing complexity and gravity, ranging from firearms to fraud, homicide, sexual offences and offences of serious violence. His family work is primarily care-orientated, but he also undertakes work at the intersection between criminal and family practice, and has experience in parallel proceedings and applications under the 2013 Protocol for disclosure from the Family Court into the criminal jurisdiction.
His cases in the last 12 months have included the following:
- R v M & others – defending a courier of crack cocaine and heroin, charged alongside ten others with running drugs between Gatwick and the North of England to the value of £3million.
- R v C, C & B – prosecuting a three-handed, four week trial in Exeter of three Defendants charged with offences of fraud and regulatory offences relating to their status as investment advisers. Former building society advisers, they set up a fraudulent operation and defrauded investors of £500,000.
- R v P – Defending a paedophile, charged with distribution of indecent images of children, and stalking and abusing three children in the same family.
Oliver’s family work is predominantly care-related and includes cases of serious neglect and abuse. He has represented parents, Local Authorities and Guardians in complex and protracted cases, including allegations of non-accidental injury and child cruelty.
He has particular experience of disclosure, and has acted as disclosure junior in major civil litigation. He was disclosure junior to the Attorney General in the Guantanamo Bay damages claims and has also acted as disclosure junior in major homicide cases. He regularly acts in applications to the Family Court for disclosure under the 2013 Protocol in linked criminal proceedings.
- BA (Hons) Cantab
- BVC, Inns of Court Law School
- LLM in European and French Law, Sorbonne
- Winner of Inner Temple’s Lawson and Ormrod advocacy prizes
- Middle Temple
- French and German