Year of call: 2004
Alex graduated with Honours in Spanish and Music from Exeter University before being called to the Bar with the Inner Temple. She joined One Inner Temple Lane in 2006.
Alex enjoys a successful defence practice, including both private and public funded work. Her Crown Court practice extends predominantly across Greater London and the South East. Alex is experienced in cases involving; serious violence, arson, witness intimidation, large-scale and multi-handed drug supply, firearms, fraud and sexual offences. She is frequently instructed in cases involving confiscation and forfeiture, has successful experience with contested ASBO cases and has been led as Junior Counsel in separate matters of murder, money laundering and multi-handed armed robbery and Class A drugs conspiracies.
Alex has most recently expanded her practice into the areas of prison law and judicial review, the latter most notably in relation to review of post-tariff detention of IPP prisoners – a subject on which she spoke as part of the ongoing Chambers’ Seminar Series. Alex also has significant experience in a variety of court martial cases, at home and abroad.
Alex is a Grade 2 prosecutor.
- R v Sgt T – Sennelager, Germany – Court Martial representing soldier facing s.18 allegation.
R v S – Middlesbrough Crown Court – Led Junior in 10 week multi-handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs valued at £¼ million. Case involved numerous and extensive disclosure and PII considerations and applications.
- R v W – Sheffield Crown Court – Led Junior in 3 week conspiracy to supply Class A drugs. Case involved extensive forensic analysis of mobile telephone traffic, cell-site and attribution evidence.
- R v J – Nottingham Crown Court – Represented 14 year old facing allegation of anal rape of 8 year old. Involved s.41 application and delicate handing of case with young defendant and complainant.
- R v S – Woolwich Crown Court – Represented defendant accused of rape of his 14 year old female family member.
- R v W – Inner London Crown Court) – Led Junior in multi-handed multiple armed robbery case.
R v B – Woolwich Crown Court – Unanimous acquittal secured after trial of multi-handed rape allegation.
- R v Rollins – EWCA Crim 86 – Most recent authority on sentencing for offences of possession of a firearm with intent. Represented the defendant at both Crown Court and Court of Appeal proceedings, where Solicitor-General Edward Garnier prosecuted.
- R v D – Woolwich Crown Court – Acquittal secured in 3 of 4 counts alleging historic gross sexual indecency with defendant’s son.
- R v X – Camberwell Youth Court sitting at Southwark Crown Court – Multi-handed violent disorder; month-long trial of 8 purportedly gang-involved youths (T-Block / Cherry Gang) involving numerous and complex legal arguments.
- R v O – Inner London Crown Court – Only acquittal secured in multi-handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs (c.£750k).
- R v X – Cambridge Crown Court – Acquittal secured in s.18 GBH stabbing. Case involved multiple legal arguments, hostile witnesses and young defendant.
- R v A – Guildford Crown Court – 2 week 10 count fraud trial (c.£100k) involving complex analysis of extensive financial records, contested handwriting evidence, multiple legal arguments and subsequent full-day contested POCA hearing.
- R v B – Kingston Crown Court – Multi-handed armed-robbery trial.
- R v W-T – Isleworth Crown Court – Privately instructed case; aggravated arson.
- R v B – Guildford Crown Court – Acquittal in 2 count conspiracy to supply Class A drugs; defendant a convicted prisoner in solitary cell at time of alleged offences; extensive PII and disclosure applications involved.
- BA Hons (2i Spanish with Music) – University of Exeter.
- DELE (Spanish, Nivel Superior) – Instituto Cervantes, Valencia.
- Diploma in Translation (Spanish, Letter of Credit) – Institute of Linguists, London.
- PGDL (Commendation) – College of Law, Guildford.
- BVC (Very Competent) – College of Law, London.
- Criminal Bar Association.
- Junior Bar Association.
Alex is public access qualified.