Year of call: 2012
Josh has a busy criminal practice, regularly appearing in the Crown, Magistrates’ and Youth courts and the Court of Appeal for both Prosecution and Defence.
Josh has expertise in a wide range of areas including drugs matters, sexual offences, extradition and violence offences. Josh is experienced in road traffic law and is a Level 1 CPS Panel Advocate.
Most recently Josh has acted in a number of Crown Court trials dealing with matters such as threats to kill, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, blackmail, robbery, possession of bladed articles and theft.
Josh is well versed in dangerous dogs law having represented a number of clients facing issues under the Dogs Act 1871 or Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Most recently Josh acted for a defendant whose Japanese Akita bit a young woman on the face. The client was fined and the dog made subject to a contingent destruction order.
Prior to joining Chambers Josh worked at a number of firms including Kingsley Napley, Macfarlanes and Malletts Solicitors as well as working as a county court advocate for Kearns & Co. Josh has experience of Financial Services Regulatory work gained through his time at Macfarlanes. At Kingsley Napley Josh worked predominantly on a case relating to governmental corruption in a British Overseas Territory but also on a high profile historic sexual offences case, a war crimes matter and firearms offences. Whilst at Malletts Solicitors Josh worked extensively on one of the largest boiler room frauds prosecuted by the SFO to date and violence offences.
Josh gained experience in civil matters when working as a county court advocate. His experience includes Landlord and Tenant issues, mortgage matters, small claims and return of goods issues.
Josh is a pro bono adviser at the Waterloo Legal Advice Service where he advises on a variety of issues including crime, housing, family, immigration and personal injury amongst other areas.
- R v DL (Court of Appeal, 2016) – appeal against sentence for cultivating cannabis.
- R v BP (Woolwich Crown Court, 2016) – acquittal of man charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
- R v AS (Ayelsbury Crown Court, 2016) – acquittal of man charged with threats to kill at Amersham Crown Court.
- R v DB – acquittal of youth charged with racially aggravated assault.
- R v GM – obtained fine and contingent destruction order for client whose dog bit a young woman on the face.
- R v AD (Harrow Crown Court, 2015) – successful prosecution of man charged with blackmail of vulnerable victim.
- R v MP (Snaresbrook Crown Court, 2015) – successful prosecution of man charged with breach of restraining order.
- BPP Law School, BPTC – Very Competent
- BPP Law School, GDL – Commendation
- University of Manchester, History – Upper Second
Awards, Scholarships and Memberships
- Ann Goddard Scholarship, Gray’s Inn, 2015
- Prince of Wales Scholarship, Gray’s Inn, 2011
- BPP Manchester Moot Winner, 2011
- GDL Scholarship, Gray’s Inn, 2010
- Cohen Scholarship, BPP Law School, 2010
- CPS Panel Advocate Level 1