Year of call: 1976
Christopher Stopa is an experienced criminal practitioner based mainly on the Western Circuit.
He is a Grade 4 prosecutor and RASSO approved counsel.
Christopher’s practice covers all types of criminal cases.
He defends and prosecutes and has particular experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Sexual offences of all types
- Serious violent offences
- Revenue and related frauds
- Serious drug offences and related confiscation hearings
- Prosecutions by the Environment Agency and Trading Standards
- Driving offences where death occurs
- In addition to having experience in, he has a special interest in cases involving mental health issues and firearms.
- R V S, Portsmouth Crown Court – defending historic stranger rape involving advanced DNA
- R v R, Southampton Crown Court – defending fraud involving in excess of £275,000 regarding yacht broking
- R v W, Others Southampton Crown Court – prosecuting “Operation Independence” conspiracy to supply heroin and crack cocaine
- R v H and F-M, Portsmouth Crown Court – prosecuting section 18 that involved inflicting quite appalling injuries to the victim with a hot iron
- R v P, Winchester Crown Court – prosecuting sexual abuse of many kinds on niece over many years
- R v D, Portsmouth Crown Court – defending sexual touching of a child under 13
- R v J, Southampton Crown Court – prosecuting sexual abuse over a long period
- O v Chief Constable for Hampshire – appeal against revocation of firearms licence
- R v B & E, Portsmouth Crown Court – defending benefit fraud in excess of £50,000
- R v S, Portsmouth Crown Court – prosecuting supply class A with a successful appeal by the defence to the Court of Appeal with a successful re-trial for the prosecution
- R v S, Portsmouth Crown Court – defending sexual activity with a child under 13
- R v B, Portsmouth Crown Court – prosecuting sexual activity with a child under 13
- R v A, Bournemouth Crown Court – prosecuting a benefit fraud in excess of £50,000
- R v F, Southampton Crown Court – prosecuting possession of a prohibited firearm – a loaded sawn-off shot gun
- LLB Leeds
- Middle Temple
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
Click here for my Personal Privacy Statement